Tuesday, June 02, 2009


Apparently A&E's The Cleaner is coming back for a second season.



Now it turns out this Benjamin Bratt led drama (featuring Grace Park of Battlestar Galactica fame, the second best well-known Korean actress, after chick-from-lost Yunjin Kim) is about the incredibly lame premise that Bratt is a former addict who thinks of clever and creative ways to drive people off their addictions.

Of course, I only found this out after turning to wikipedia - based on the incredibly vague commercials, I had thought it was about something different entirely - and the other people whom I had asked what it was about, had thought each their own totally different thing.

I wish I remembered them all, but the impression I had (I'm honestly not really sure why I had this impression - maybe when you see such a vague add, you just think of something cool that could work with the title, and assume that's it) was that Bratt's character would be like Harvey Keitel's Mr. Wolf character in Pulp Fiction - he would be hired by murderers, or perhaps other criminal organizations to "clean" up their crimes - eliminate the evidence and such. How does that not sound a million times better?

Or The Cleaner could be the story of a money launderer - this is another great idea - he cleans other people's cash - there's never been to my knowledge, a movie or show that focuses on the one doing the laundering - always on the ones making the money - he could have run ins with both criminals and the government - it's a great anti-hero position - he's not murdering people, so he's easier to like - there's all different ways to launder money, and he may have to switch around to prevent from being caught, or risk being held up by criminals - I really want to see this made.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

A&E's just trying to make the most of its addiction niche.