Wednesday, May 18, 2011


This is a relatively old commercial, I know, but recently I've become a little bit obsessed with it. And not because it's terrible, or so great, or so absurd, but for two main reasons. (Okay, changed me mind after watching it again - it is so great - just not particularly revolutionary or influential or anything)

(Quick sum up: Basically, for his father's 60th birthday, his son takes me on a trip to Norway, where presumably their ancestors had come from - they have a fucking amazing time, paying with their citi credit card all the way, only to find out at the end that they are actually Swedish, rather than Norwegian.)

1 - It makes Norway look like the coolest place on Earth (no pun intended there). How is Norway not paying some money for this, the best reason to visit Norway since the 1994 Winter Olympics? I would like to plan a vacation based solely around this commercial. I literally want to go to Norway, and in order, visit the places the father and son go - the museum or whatever it is with that giant boat, the pint at Ibsen's favorite pub (can that possibly still be around? I hope they're not shading the truth here), the sampling of local cuisine (that fish looks delicious), the fjords, the jumping in the water, the rowboating. Literally, I would sign up for a tour group whose reason for being was reenacting the trip from that commercial. It was the trip of a lifetime, the dad said! What else do you need?

2 - Probably more minor point, but that old guy looks awesome, and has an awesome beard. He's got great sunken eyes and sly smile. If I look half as cool when I am that age, I will be thankful. (Apparently he is portrayed by Norm Golden and I now need to see his SVU episode - it looks like the son may be a guy named Scott Organ but it's harder to definitively confirm this)

Humorously, in the youtube comments, there's a weird occasional back and forth between pro-Norway and Swedish forces - mentioning how terrible it would be to find out that you were Swedish.

Also, when looking up things about this commercial - I found this amazing article of a guy who seriously can't handle the possible inaccuracies of the commercial - such as the fact, that Ibsen would have been more likely to drink in restaurants. Yes, you apparently can't take a ferry to Stockholm, and yes, the music is clearly not Norwegian, but who cares?

No comments: