Wednesday, February 14, 2007

First, how about a good prediction out of my for the Super Bowl? I know I was impresed with myself. I didn't predict it. Well, I predicted the game, but I didn't predict my prediction being fairly accurate. So I'm 1 for 2, but that's a number I can live with.


From the stupid things out of peoples' mouths category, I read that our good friend Rush Limbaugh said this piece of drivel:

"And before we go to the break here, folks, I've got to get something off my chest. You know, the game was the game. And the game was what it was. But I - I can't handle any more press criticism of Rex Grossman. They're writing his name W-R-E-C-K-S. They're just ... worst quarterback ever to play in the Super Bowl. And it's been like this since the Green Bay game -- actually since the Arizona game, a little crescendo of it in the Green Bay game, the last game of the season for the Bears. And it's just unrelenting! It's just -- they're focusing on this guy like they don't focus on anybody!

"And I tell you, I know what it is. The media, the sports media, has got social concerns that they are first and foremost interested in, and they're dumping on this guy -- Rex Grossman -- for one reason, folks, and that's because he is a white quarterback.'

I really don't even have anything to add. This just speaks for itself. Now every person reading this blog I guarentee already feels the same way as I do about Mr. Limbaugh - but this should just give more reason to the people who haven't tuned him in lately.

Baseball:

Now, I'm no nostalgia craving old timer who thinks every little thing ought be like it was in the old days. And I understand that in today's sport, people change teams - it's just a fact of life. Here and there we can have the Craig Biggios of the world, but for the most part, at best there will be Tom Glavine's who play for years and years on one team but then when they get old, have to go somewhere else to find someone interested in paying them.

That said, it's always nice when you have a chance to keep around a guy who can still help you out and who is willing to accept a reduced payday.

This could apply to a lot of people, and really in any sport, but probably more in baseball, where former starters, can still if they want, often be useful bench players.

In particular though, I refer to the case of Bernie Williams. Now, I'm no Yankee fan, so know my bias ahead of time. And I understand Bernie is old, and he is not as good as Abreu or Matsui or as promising as Cabrera. But there is one answer to why anyone has a right to say that Bernie deserves a place somewhere on the roster. The fact that the Yankees have made the moronic move of guarenteeing Doug Mientkiewicz a major league contract. Besides signing someone whose name is unspellable, the Yankees have signed someone who simply, sucks. Sure, he's better than Jason Giambi on first base, but hell, a Jason Giambi bobblehead is better than Jason Giambi on first base. Now, of course, I don't really give too much of a shit, I'm not a Yankee fan, and I have no right to speak for them. But I'll try anyway. If I was, I'd sure rather have a guy who poured his heart and soul into the team for 15 years and won four world championships than a guy who had just over 100 at bats for the Red Sox all 2004 season and attempted to steal the world series ball from a baseball mad city salivating for a championship like a couple of pit bulls starved for over 80 years without food.

Hell, I mean, I was sentimental about losing Cliff Floyd, and he'd only been on the Mets for four seasons, and maybe played for a total of three. (Though who knows when the Mets are going to have another shot at a player named Cornelius?)

But it just seems worth considering every once in a while keeping a player who can still be useful
over a player who can still be useless.

No comments: