Sunday, March 25, 2007

Okay, as many of you reading this may know, I was chosen and qualified along with two other members of my team to participate in VH1's 2007 World Series of Pop Culture. That taping was this past week. For better or worse, I can not reveal how that went, but you'll find out in July when it airs.

There comes a time in every man's life when he must move on to some new TV, movie, music and book projects. Here's where I stand at this moment.

Movies - man, there's so much I want to see - I plan on seeing the Prestige today, and I'd eventually like to see what I've heard is it's lesser cousin, The Illusionist. Of what's out now, I'd most like to see The 300. I'd like to see the past two Best Picture Academy Award winners Crash and The Departed. I'd like to knock down some more directors' work with ones like Mean Streets and Cape Fear for Martin Scorsese, and about 30 more films for Woody Allen. I'd like to watch some very cult classic late '80s and '90s movies like Heathers and Clueless. And I'd finally like to get back on watching all the Bond films over again, even the ones I've seen.
That should keep me busy for a while.

TV - Two weeks ago, I finally finished the year-and-a-half quest of watching Buffy, the Vampire Slayer. An excellent endeavor, though the final season, was far from the best of the series. One of my next projects will thus be to finish up the Buffyverse by getting my hands on some Angel DVDs and cracking through those. Probably my top priority is catching up on Veronica Mars, the first two episodes which I saw a couple weeks ago, which seems like a couple months ago, but I think remember them well enough. Also waiting on deck are two comedies I'd like to catch up, My Name is Earl and How I Met Your Mother, and maybe I'll start giving 30 Rock a chance, as I've heard pretty good things for the most part.

Music - This is where I may be falling the farthest behind, but there's a few things at least I'm looking out for. New Maximo Park and Fountains of Wayne albums should be arriving soon, and I'm looking forward to both of these. In addition, I've heard rave reviews of the Pipettes, so that's the group I plan on checking out next. I'm going to have to keep searching for some new hot bands and albums as well as digging back to find some lost classics from days of yore.

Books - I have pretty much not picked up my book in about two weeks. The book I'm "reading" now is a history of the Punic Wars, and it's been fascinating so far and I plan on actually getting moving on it again. My second book in line is Julian Barnes' "Arthur & George" which I don't know all too much about except that Arthur is I think Arthur Conan Doyle and the George is someone probably famous whose first name is George.

Well, here's where I stand. And oh, yeah, I suppose I have school to worry about at some point. If anyone has any suggestions for media to munch on (not literally, unless it's some sort of edible book, which I would welcome), let me know.