Thursday, February 05, 2009

I'm still puzzling over this John Turturro Heiniken ad that's been running on TV the past few weeks. Take a second (or 30) and check it out if you haven't done so.





Now every time I hear it, I admit, I try to listen again. You win, Heiniken. What the fuck is he talking about? I'm 99% sure it's nonsense, but hey, it's John Turturro - he sounds so sincere when saying it, he sells it so well. I really want to believe that the beer is a compass, because, eh, it sounds cool, but what it means, I have no idea.

I'm fairly confident "undestinated" is not a word, and quick googling seems to confirm that.

Honestly, the commercial, with all its fancy talk would be of no use to me, if it wasn't John Turturro - an actor whose not quite a star per se - you would never think of him as the lead in a blockbuster, but he's been the lead in fair-sized, if not big budget movies before. He resides somewhere in the area just below star - not a B-lister, because he's in good movies, and has far too much credibility for that, but not a character actor either, because he's starred and played a large part in enough movies, and yet not quite an indie darling because his movies, while often critically acclaimed and not blockbusters, have been big movies with famous directors - quite a few with Spike Lee and the Coens, for example.

This, plus, as friend-of-the-blog Lisa noted, you actually do wonder if he might actually drink Heineken - unless most commercials, where the celebrity is clearly not buying the product - Derek Jeter is not driving a Ford Edge - it's actually possible Turturro might drink Heineken.

No comments: