Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Every once in a while I come upon an article I can't believe exists in wikipedia - often it's that I'm glad it does, because it's some obscure compilation of normally useless but interesting information. Other times, it's just strange.

I had never heard of an exploding whale before. Nor that there had been enough to justify splitting the page into two categories - whales exploding naturally, and by explosives.

Moreover, there is more exploding whale literature out there - I never thought this picture would exist:



A scooter covered in whale guts. This was in Taiwan - apparently people had gathered to watch a dead whale through the streets, before, according to the Tapei Times, "More than 100 Tainan city residents, mostly men, have reportedly gone to see the corpse to 'experience' the size of its penis."

Wikipedia also supplies one of my favorite captions ever - for this picture:

"Dynamite was used to blow up a rotting beached whale, with unintended consequences."

Who would have thunk it?

And amazingly there is a youtube of another exploding whale, which apparently was an internet phenomena which I missed out at the time.

1 comment:

AndrewEberle said...

Wow, I'd never actually seen that whole video before. You know Paul Linnman actually still works for KATU, I grew up watching him as the nightly news anchor for that Portland ABC affiliate. The beach where they blew that whale up is less than an hour from my apartment...good times.