Monday, September 14, 2009

Honorary Mention: True Blood



Okay, this didn't get on to the list because - frankly, the second season hadn't aired yet, so there was really only one season to work with, I didn't realize how big it really was - it's HBO's highest rated program in ages, and its DVDs sold better than any other TV show this year, and I hadn't watched it yet. But now I have realized, the second season has aired, and I have watched. So while I don't want to bump anybody off an already constructed list, I'll just interrupt here to give True Blood an honorary mention and say my piece about it.

For whatever reason, as I mentioned, I didn't realize how much of a thing it had become, and somewhere around halfway through the second season, I realized that just about two thirds of my friends have been watching it, which of course, if I hadn't considered it yet, made me want to catch up all the more.

I'm not going to lie. It started out a bit slow. You probably all the know the premise by now, but here it is in short form - vampires have been around for thousand of years, and have needed to feast on human blood, but now that a synthetic or "true" blood has been invented, vampires can come out of the closet and live in mainstream America - but of course, some don't want to. Anyway, the beginning few episodes of the show are basically about setting up the love story between vampire Bill (Stephen Moyer) and telepathic waitress Sookie (Anna Paquin) in small town Louisiana and about slowly laying down some rules of the show in terms of what vampires can and can't do, and such. There's a couple of other storylines that are generally not too interesting, except for the set up for the main season plot, a whodunit about the mysterious murderer of a number of waitresses associated with vampires who appears to be coming next for Sookie. The season improves greatly over the last few episodes when that plot begins to build steadily and we get introduced to interesting characters like Eric (Alexander Skarsgard) the vampire sheriff of the area (who runs the fantastically named vampire bar Fangtasia).

The second season is a lot more interesting from the start - there's simply more going on, and they don't waste time with the preliminaries which slightly plagued the start of season 1. Immediately there are three potential villains and each of them is not entirely straightforward - we don't know their complete motives - Eric (who well into the season continues to be one of the more interesting characters and best characters on the show), the Reverend Steve Newlin and his Fellowship of the Sun church, devoted to the total destruction of vampires, and Maryanne Forrester who volunteers to help Tara but soon appears to be far from human. In addition to al this, we have a minor whodunit with a couple of bodies found with their hearts tore out, though this mystery is more or less solved by halfway through the season.

Along with (and in no small part due to) Twilight, True Blood seems more or less responsible for the vampire revival in current pop culture (though who knows how long a revival focused on one supernatural creature can last), and not without reason. The show is a serious show in many ways, but it doesn't take itself too seriously (like Lost (at least two seasons in) always feeling a little trashy and featuring comic relief from Sookie's brother Jason (great lines include something like "it's from the bible, or the constitution"(Lost has Hurley I know, but the show takes itself too seriously - but that's a conversation for another time)). Partly because I wanted to catch up in time for the finale, but also partially because it does get you caught up, I found myself wanted to start the next episode right after I finished the previous even late at night (it should be noted that the show does feature my most hated practice of finishing each episode with a needless cliffhanger). I do want to note as well, I appreciate shows with serious seasonal storylines, and I often think it's the best compromise between the limitations of only single episode stories and the too unrestricted series long stories.

Over the course of the two seasons, my opinions of many characters changed, some of the better, some for the worse (it is impossible to stand Sookie at some points in the second season) but that happens with almost any show. It's too early for me to rank True Blood among my list of dramas, but I'm certainly glad to be watching.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Did you watch the finale?