Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Yesterday was one of the most interesting sports nights I've had in quite a while.



First of all, I realized for real that I really, I don't want to say hate, because that's harsh and uncalled for, but strongly root against Roger Federer, and I'm not exactly sure why. During the final, I was becoming angry and irritable at the likelihood of him winning when he went up 2 sets to 1 and becoming extremely pumped up to the point of loudly exclaiming "YES!" at the TV when Juan Martin del Potro broke Federer in the fourth set. I was so involved that I was doing what I do when I'm really frustrated by a sporting event I care about - instead of just leaving it on and watching it all the way through like a normal person, I keep changing the channel every time I see something that frustrates me because I don't want to see anymore, only to change it back a second later because I'm curious again and can't stay away for long. I realize this is neither the normal nor sensible way to watch sporting events, but I can't help it. Every once in a while when it hits me, I take my sports really seriously.

Now, Federer seems like a nice enough guy and extremely gracious champion so if I do say I hate him I mean sports hate in that I root against him on the court but that I hate him personally the way I even hate say, Derek Jeter (personally's a little strong for anyone you don't know, but a little more hate at least). Of course, as I've said many times, the wonderful thing about sports is that you can hate anyone irrationally, which you can't get away with in real life. Still, I'll try to semi-rationally try to figure out what I don't like about Federer.

- He's a huge favorite - Many people tend to pull for the underdog, but I think I feel this way as strong if not stronger than most. There's generally nothing worse than single domination of a sport. I generally root against Tiger - I root against Lance Armstrong (though for slightly some other reasons than simply his dominance, and credit for the scene in Dodgeball). I hate the Yankees and the Patriots and the Lakers and when my friend and I picked English Premier League teams to root for we ended up choosing a team closer to relegation in Blackburn Rovers rather than one of the big four that has any real chance of winning the league most years. That said, I'm a Nadal person, and I'd like to think that I'd root for him to win as majors as possible, but perhaps that's just to catch up to Federer - but really that should be the second bullet point.

- I'm a Nadal person - Over the last two or three years, we've had a worthy rival to Federer for essentially the first time in Fed's career of winning slams. Rafa actually has a winning record against Federer, and unlike pretty much everyone else, he doesn't cower against Federer and you don't get that sick feeling of inevitability when you watch him play Federer that Fed's going to find a way to pull it out no matter what. I'm not sure when and why I chose Rafa in the battle - it could be simply because I was looking for an alternative to Fed dominance or because I just liked Rafa better, and probably was a combination of the two. Rafa's a lefty which definitely helps, plus I think I like his demeanor and look better. And yeah, I at least say this now and mean to keep with it, I do want him to continue winning as many slams as possible, albeit he needs to get healthy and fast to do it. And Roger looks so, well, country club, as will lead into my next point...



- Roger looks so country club. Let's not kid ourselves, tennis is a country club sport. Not every but almost every tennis player grow up at least fairly wealthy, partly because in order to be a competitive tennis player you need to start playing at something like the age of four, and need to be able to afford not just the equipment but the type of coaching a young player needs. But seriously, can you appear more country club than Federer? I read an article recently about Fed's US Open suite in some hotel, and one of the panels it showed his monogrammed pillowcases that the hotel provides him. I mean, I'm not kidding myself, I know the top players all live a life of luxury and they should, but are you kidding me? How do you get more country club than that? (I don't mean to bash all country clubs, as a rule, necessarily, just as picking someone to root for in a sporting event, I can certainly consider it.)

There's got to be even more to it, and I'm still working on figuring that out, but that's certainly a start.

Anyway, now that he lost I can be gracious to Federer. He is an amazing tennis player and has always been a good interview, and I will be thankful that he played the game so well and for so long. Once he loses the next couple of majors, at least.



And yet, that was only half of my exciting sports day. I was then subjected to over three quarters of a near huge upset by the Bills, only to be devastated by a incredibly ill-advised fumble with two minutes left by Leodis McKelvin, who in classic Bills fashion couldn't simply avoid doing the one thing he needed to avoid doing which more than likely would have led to a Bills win. This is the type of thing that happens to the Bills routinely. The Bills haven't made the playoffs in a decade, which I think is longer than any other team (after checking, it's tied for longest with the Lions). For the most part, they haven't been truly awful during the stretch - only three times have they had double digit losses, 13 once, 11 once and 10 once.

The way I look at it of course, is that they couldn't even manage to get a top pick. I'm almost at the point where the most fun thing to root for as a Bills fan is four a fourth 7-9 season in a row, which has to be some sort of record, certainly for consecutive 7-9 seasons, but at least possibly for consecutive seasons with the same record. Dick Jauron is now, after the first game, the longest tenured Bills head coach since Marv Levy, and they've pretty much all deserved what they got, a fate Jauron probably deserves as well, and will likely get if they finish below .500 again this year.

It's just probably another humdrum year of Bills losses, at least a few of which are guaranteed to be of the last-minute stunner variety as happened against the Patriots. I like the no huddle, though I think there's a good chance they don't have the personnel to execute it, at least it's something interesting to watch. But that was a rough one, to start off the year, before their season is already over.

No comments: